Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Scary

Madelyn learned a new word last weekend - "scary".
We went to visit my grandma in her assisted living apartment. On our way out the kids wanted to ride the elevator - by themselves. The elevator literally goes down a half level to meet the wheelchair ramp around the corner. Matt didn't think it was a good idea. I thought, "what could happen, I mean where could they possibly go in this small apartment building". So they got in. I told Collin to push 1 - he said "we're already on 1", so I told him push "G" or "L" or something like that....he pushed a button and the door closed. I walked the 5 steps around the corner and waited for the elevator to open, of course it didn't. Matt walked down the ramp and pushed the button, the elevator came and opened - no kids! Well where else could they be? So I told Matt to go up to floor 2. He went up and came back - still no kids! A minute later I could hear Collin yelling "mommy", two little girls kind of crying, and a heavy door slam shut. I headed back to the elevator they had first got in and saw the door to the stairs. I opened it up and could hear Collin talking, Ella crying, and Madelyn repeating "scary, scary". Turns out "G" stands for garage - oops. They got off the elevator in the garage....got scared because they were lost. Collin saw the "exit" sign and decided to go there. That brought them to the stairs which they took up to the second level. When we were not there they got back on the elevator to level 1, got off and didn't see us. That's when I heard them and they were headed back into the stairway. At least they stuck together. Quite an adventure they had....Collin or Ella must have used the word "scared" or "scary" a lot because now everything for Madelyn is "scary". It is her new favorite word.

No comments:

Post a Comment